Thursday 5 January 2017

Asking People for Money...


The very title of this blog makes me cringe. I hate it. It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable. I feel like if you could physically see me now, you would see that I’m squirming in my chair. This was not something I had anticipated when I embarked on the Uganda project.  Honestly, I’d nonchalantly figured it would be easy.  It’s such a good cause, of course people would be willing to donate.  The problem is, I’d overlooked the fact that I’d have to ASK them to donate. I don’t know how I’d thought the whole fundraising thing would work.  I’d said to my husband, when we discussed the money required for the programme, “it’s fine, I’ll fundraise!”

The thing is, I’ve never done any fundraising before.  I’ve done Macmillan coffee mornings, I host one every year at work, but this is a widely publicised event and people pop their donations in the box without me asking them to.   I’ve done a couple of the Race for Life runs for Cancer Research, but the sponsorship pages just went up and people donated.  I also didn’t have a huge target and raised the money quite easily.  This is different.  This is a lot of money and I have to ASK for it.

I’m sure it’s a cultural phenomenon.  Us Brits don’t like talking about money.  We don’t discuss our wages or the exact price we pay for our cars or houses.  If I go for a meal with my parents, we don’t discuss how much the bill was.  We just seem to have this idea that talking about money is somehow rude or disrespectful.  We’re not comfortable asking for money.

This leaves me with a bit of a conundrum.  How do you raise money without asking for it? Simple answer: you don’t!  Unfortunately, there is no money tree shedding notes in my garden and no fairy godmother offering me plane tickets, so instead of trying to avoid it, I’ve decided to give you some really good reasons for WHY I am asking for your financial support as I embark on this fantastic project.

Firstly, I am asking for your donations so that I can be involved in a project that aims to fundamentally change students’ lives for the better.  I’m not asking for money for something frivolous or selfish, but for your support in helping to create a better standard of education in a developing country. Education is a right that we often take for granted in the UK.  We take our children to school and fully expect them to receive a high quality of teaching and learning that will give them access to opportunities and qualifications that will help them to lead financially stable and ultimately fulfilling lives.  This sort of education is not available to everyone, but it should be! 

That’s why I am doing this.  I want to be involved in something that is I bigger than any pride I might have over asking for money, something that is far bigger than just myself at all.  I want to be involved in ensuring students, irrespective of background or location, receive a high quality and standard of education, so that they have access to the all the wonderful opportunities our world has to offer.

Secondly, teaching has given me an amazing career and I really want to give something back.  Teaching is both the hardest job that there is and the most rewarding.  I left the physical classroom three years ago with the ambition of completing my doctorate and finding out more about what makes teaching and learning as good as it can be.  I’ll admit, I had been worn down by the bureaucratic interferences in the classroom.  It’s not my intention to discuss that here, but I left wanting to find better ways to teach and learn and to make a difference for my students. 

Since working for Tute and teaching online, I’ve been given a truly unique opportunity to explore what works from a pedagogical perspective (methods and practices of teaching).  Not only will going to Uganda give me an opportunity to share what I have learnt about teaching and how to support students in making progress, but it will also give me the chance to explore this area further.  In Uganda resources are limited.  There teachers rely on their abilities as teachers, their pedagogy, more heavily than in other areas where they might have the luxuries of technology, text books and the raft of educational materials we might have elsewhere.  Not only will I be able to share my knowledge and experience with the teachers we will be helping to train, but I know that they will have a great deal to teach me as well!  Going to Uganda will no doubt make me a better teacher and a better researcher too.

The final reason I am asking you for money is perhaps the most challenging to put down on paper.  I am asking because I have to.  Unfortunately, I am not in a position to fund this programme solo.  I am asking because I need your help to make this a reality.  I am committed to going, passionate about the work and dedicated to the ideals of the programme, but without your help, I can’t do it.  My husband and I work full time, we have a modest house in Ellesmere Port and we are by no means wealthy.  I spend the last week before payday counting the pennies and adding up the cost of the shopping in the trolley to make sure I’ve got enough money to pay for it.  I don’t have savings.  I pay student fees from previous and my current studies and childcare fees so that I can go out to work.  One day I hope all this studying and hard work pays off and I have the sort of income where I can be the philanthropist that can afford to fund this sort of programme for other like-minded individuals, but I’m not there yet.  I need your help.

So there you have it.  It’s not my favourite part of the project, but I need to ask people for money to make it a reality.  If any of the reasons I’ve given have convinced you that this is a worthwhile project and you want to contribute to my fundraising efforts, please do!  If you are able to give even just a couple of pounds, that’s a huge help.  I’m organising a toy fair, a bake off and a fundraising evening over the coming weeks and will keep you posted, but if you’re interested in making a donation to help pay for the fellowship place, flights or resources, please visit my gofundme page.


Thank you for reading.

1 comment: