Sunday 29 January 2017

An Amazing Week!

This week has been amazing.  I spent two days down in London this week taking in some fantastic CPD experiences at The Bett Show and the Whole Education Annual Conference.  I was at Bett with the brilliant company I work with, Tute, because we were exhibiting at the show and were also finalists for an award in the category of ICT Tools for Learning, Teaching and Assessment.  We were announced as the 2017 winners on Wednesday night and this is a huge professional achievement for everyone at the company-I was absolutely ecstatic, of course!

Whilst at the exhibition show, I got to see lots of different examples of fabulous innovations in the education field and, in particular, how edtech is being used to evolve pedagogy further. My personal highlight though was getting to meet with Sarah Grant from LRTT.  When I had my interview for the Uganda fellowship, it was Sarah with which I spoke first.  I was immediately enthused by her insights on the programme and the conversations we had about research in the programme. It was so great to spend an hour chatting through ideas and possibilities whilst benefiting from Sarah's experience.  She's so passionate about the charity and the programme and it's infectious.  We were talking about the possibilities of using Tute's Learning Cloud to help deliver training to fellows prior to their taking part in their LRTT programmes or even setting up sessions with the local teachers in LRTT locations between fellowships.  The scope could be enormous, especially given that LRTT fellows are joining from across the globe now.  
Sarah Grant and I catching up at Bett 
What I hadn't anticipated was my boss, Tute's CEO, offering Tute's resources to LRTT gratis.  This is yet another reason why I love what I do at Tute.  At its core, this company is run by good people who care about the right things.  Tute's purpose has always been "to make the best teaching available to all, irrespective of location or background."  I've always loved this philosophy, but I viewed it nationally or perhaps, just within the scope of Tute delivering lessons, but never has this purpose been more clear to me than in this amazing act of kindness.  I'm not sure when I was most proud of the company I work for this week; when we picked up the Bett Award trophy or when Sean committed to a cause that has found its way securely into my vocational heart as a teacher.  Thank you Tute.

The next day was also an inspirational day for me.  I had been asked to give a presentation at the Whole Education conference, also being held in London this week.    This was the first time that I had heard of Whole Education, but I am so delighted to have discovered them!  They are an organisation of individuals who are committed to helping students gain a WHOLE education, not just one that is restricted to purely academic achievement, to making learning more relevant and engaging and to revolutionising the way teachers and leaders work together to achieve better outcomes for students and staff despite the current challenges surrounding the institutes of education in our country.  


I met and listened to some superb people during my short time at the conference.  I really wish that I could have stayed much longer to absorb even more of the wisdom on offer and will most definitely aim to do so in the future.  It was a packed programme and I took so much away from the speakers I listened to, but also from the delegates I struck up conversations with during the breaks and lunchtimes.  It is so refreshing to talk and listen to people who share my own views of education; that our purpose is to do what is best for our students, not solely in terms of academia, but in every sense.  This is why I became a teacher.  My presentation allowed me to share with other passionate teachers, who are looking for ways to provide the best for their students, a little of what I have learned about teaching students online whilst at Tute. It felt great to be able to share a little bit of our pedagogy and how the technology we use can enhance learning, to give something back.


As I was travelling home on the train, I sat with three of my Tute colleagues.  We were absolutely exhausted, but we couldn't stop talking.  We talked incessantly the whole journey home about all the fantastic ideas and inspiration we'd absorbed over our time at Bett and Whole Education!  We were too tired to think about what to eat for dinner or walk another step, but our excitement for what we'd experienced was inextinguishable. 

These experiences were amazing, but it also reaffirmed something else; travelling to Uganda to work with other teachers, both the fellows who (like me) are currently frantically fundraising to get to be there to be a part of the programme and the local teachers who choose to attend, will be enormously rewarding.  We will all be there with a shared passion-the passion to teach and learn and to do our best for our students.  What the past few days has taught me is that there is no one better to spend time developing your skills and honing your craft with than other like-minded teachers who love what they do and who never want to stop learning how to do it better.  I am so excited about the Uganda fellowship, the potential it holds, the ways in which we will all develop and refine our abilities and the impact that will have on those who matter the most-our students.


I am still in need of your support to get there. Please do help if you can.  My GoFundMe page has reached its first target of £500, but I've still got a long way to go. You can donate as little-or as much-as you are able! Thank you.

To review the Bett Award Winners, take a look here:
To find out more about Whole Education, please visit their website:

No comments:

Post a Comment